15 Fun Facts about Sunglasses
1. Sunglasses were "invented" 2,000 years ago. The Inuit (eskimos) created snow goggles from animal bone, leather and wood. There were small slits that allowed only the tiniest of light through. This effectively shielded the eyes from the blinding glare of sunlight reflected off the snow. Talk about innovation!
2. Italian eyeglass conglomerate Luxottica owns nearly every popular brand of sunglasses sold worldwide as well as Sunglass Hut. Luxottica's brands include icons like Ray-Ban and Persol in addition to a large portion of fashion brands that have licensing deals with the company like Tiffany & Co, Prada, Chanel, D&G and many more.
3. Hot sunglass trends change year-to-year, but mostly always come back in style. We've gone from aviators, to cat-eye, to round, to oversized, and now tiny sunglasses are all the rage. Celebrities and fashion magazines always have the say on what's hot and what's not. It's important to note that not all styles fit your face. It's always best to go in to a retail store and try on new styles before buying.
4. National Sunglasses Day is Thursday, June 27, 2019. This day is all about celebrating the importance of wearing shades to protect the eyes from the sun’s harsh ultraviolet (UV) rays. Save the date!
5. Polaroid sunglasses offering protection from UV rays were invented in 1936. Before then, tinted sunglasses only reduced the glare of sunlight exposed to the eye. Side note, we love you Bette Davis!
6. One of the most popular models in eyewear history, the green-tinted Ray Ban Aviator was originally invented in the early 1930s to protect pilots from the hazards of high-altitude glare. Ray-Ban aviators are amongst the best selling sunglasses of all time.
7. In the United States someone loses, breaks or sits on a pair of sunglasses every 14 minutes. Always keep your sunglasses protected with a case. On top of your head doesn't count!
8. Two famous songs about sunglasses that we continue to get stuck in our heads are ZZ Top's 'Cheap Sunglasses' and Corey Hart's 'Sunglasses At Night'. You're humming one of the two now, aren't ya?
9. Swiss luxury company Chopard is the proud creator of the world´s most expensive pair of sunglasses, valued at $400,000. The shades are made of 60 grams of 24K gold and decorated with 51 diamonds. The arms of the glasses are made of dotted gold which gives this piece of designer eyewear a unique look.
10. In 2004, Oakley developed Thump, sunglasses with a built-in digital audio player. One year later the company created Razrwire, sunglasses with a built-in wireless cell phone headset. Today, Radar Pace technology is a unique training program for active users.
11. If you’re spending time outdoors, you’ll really benefit from wearing sunglasses. Seeing the world through polarized lens makes your visuals sharper, with less glare and improved colors and contrast. You're also protecting your eyes from harmful UV rays.
12. First appearing in 1953 and worn by countless celebrities, from James Dean to Andy Warhol to Tom Cruise, the Ray Ban Wayfarer is reported to be the best-selling style in history. Can you believe Tom Cruise is responsible for record-breaking spikes in Ray-Ban sales from wearing them in his movies?
13. Sunglasses are the ultimate fashion accessory. They can complete your outfit, make a bold statement, change your appearance and let's be honest, don't you just feel more confident with them on? If you have the means, don't limit yourself to one perfect pair, try about new styles and shapes you didn't think you could pull off.
14. Known for being eccentric from head to toe, Sir Elton John is hardly seen without a pair of funky shades, making him the ultimate fashion icon. It is believed that his collection of sunglasses accounts for over 1,000 pairs, making his inventory one of the most exclusive collections.
15. Finally, eye health is nothing to joke about. Protecting your eyes from the sun is an essential part of maintaining healthy vision. Always look for sunglasses with 100% UV protection, like the latest Maui Jim's.
Shop all designer styles, with special savings, exclusively on americansunglass.com and don’t forget to #BeYourOwnIcon.